CUPS printing and faxing problem

Kurt Pfeifle kpfeifle at danka.de
Sat May 17 21:42:55 CEST 2003

Stephen Liu wrote:

>>(If you are on the RedHat drug, read about their ability to
>>have both packages installed, and switch between the two. You
>>should especially learn how to close down the LPRng daemon and
>>start the CUPS daemon instead...)
>

> Noted with thanks.  I came across that on RH8.0 manual.  Now I am trying
> to learn more from this list before turning back to RH8.0 manual
>

>>Try this command:
>>
>>    rpm -qa | egrep "(lp|cups)"
>

> # rpm -qa | egrep "(lp|cups)"

[....]

> cups-1.1.15-10

Since this is CUPS 1.1.15, you have the first version using the
new Ghostscript pstoraster filtering setup. Check if you have
a "cups" device compiled into your Ghostscript:

   gs -h
   gs -h | grep cups"

Otherwise you won't be able to print to non-PostScript printers
the CUPS way.

But now, please turn to your RH manual, because I can't help
any more....