CUPS printing and faxing problem

Stephen Liu satimis at icare.com.hk
Sun May 18 01:12:18 CEST 2003

Hi Kurt,

On Sun, 2003-05-18 at 00:12, Kurt Pfeifle wrote:
> - snip -
>
> This is not the "lpstat" command provided by CUPS. It looks
> rather like the one provide by LPRng.
>
> My suspicion is you have LPRng installed, plus CUPS, and the
> LPRng daemon is running and the CUPS daemon is not.
>
> Normally these two packages do conflict, Remove LRPng *and* *then*
> *re-install* *CUPS*!
>
> (If you are on the RedHat drug, read about their ability to
> have both packages installed, and switch between the two. You
> should especially learn how to close down the LPRng daemon and
> start the CUPS daemon instead...)

Noted with thanks.  I came across that on RH8.0 manual.  Now I am trying
to learn more from this list before turning back to RH8.0 manual

> Try this command:
>
>     rpm -qa | egrep "(lp|cups)"

# rpm -qa | egrep "(lp|cups)"
cdparanoia-libs-alpha9.8-11
klpq-3.0.3-3
cups-drivers-hpijs-1.9-1.20020617.6
gimp-print-cups-4.2.1-5
cups-libs-1.1.15-10
cups-drivers-pnm2ppa-1.9-1.20020617.6
klprfax-3.0.3-3
cups-1.1.15-10
perl-XML-Grove-0.46alpha-21
cdparanoia-alpha9.8-11
cups-devel-1.1.15-10
kdepim-cellphone-3.0.3-3
cups-drivers-1.9-1.20020617.6
yelp-1.0.2-2
cdparanoia-devel-alpha9.8-11

> Could you please provide this info (again?) ? Which Linux
> distro are you using? Which version?

RH 8.0
KDE 3.0.3-8.3
kernel-2.4.18-27.8.0