KDE apps crash accessing network printer

Josh Berkus kde-print@mail.kde.org
Mon, 17 Mar 2003 09:57:36 -0800

Michael,

> > Details:  I installed the above network printer using SuSE's Yast.  A
> > test page printed fine.
> > However, when I tried to print from Kmail, Kmail crashed.   Attempts to
> > print from Konqueror or Kate have the same result, even after changing
> > drivers and restarting KDE several times.
> > I opened the control panel and tried to configure the HP CUPS printer in
> > KDE. Attempts to access the printer profile cause kcontrol to crash.
> > For that matter, if the network printer is installed, kjobviewer will not
> > launch, even for other printers.
> >
> > I tried reverting to the versions of the KDE-print and CUPS drivers on
> > the SuSE disks (3.0.3, I think), without improvement.
>
> Does other KDE apps print fine? Could you provide any backtrace?

Thanks for responding.  I'll provide an strace on tuesday, when I am at the
client's site with the network printer.

For further info:

No, no KDE apps will print of any kind.  In fact, evert KDE app I tried: Kate,
Konqueror, KWrite, Kjobviewer, the control panel and KMail, all crashed the
moment I tried to access the network printer.

For futher information:
Yes, I have printed to this network printer before from SuSE 8.1/KDE 3.0.3
without mishap ... but from a different laptop, on which I had *not* applied
the KDE and CUPS updates from SuSE.
Yes, printing to a local printer (parallel) works fine.

Thanks again for your help!

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions