choosing resolution etc. per print job

Michael Goffioul goffioul at imec.be
Mon Jul 14 10:48:11 CEST 2003

> Hello,
>
> some time ago, I used SuSE Linux 8.1 (KDE 3.0.?) and an EPSON Stylus Color
> 400. I set up my printer using SuSE's YaST configuration tool. If I clicked
> on "Properties" in the KDE print dialog, I had the opportunity to select
> certain printer-specific properties, like resolution, in a tree view.
>
> Now I use Debian GNU/Linux 3.0r1 with the KDE 3.1.2 packages from the KDE
> download site. My current printer is a EPSON Stylus C42UX. I configured it
> with the web frontend of CUPS. Alas, now there is no facility for configuring
> resolution and the like in the properties dialog.
>
> What is the reason for the described configuration facility to
> appear/disappear?

If you don't see any "Driver" tab in the printer properties dialog,
then the usual cause is CUPS configuration: by default, CUPS forbid
any non local connection, which can lead to this kind of problem
if the PC is connected to a network.
The usual solutions are:
1) edit /etc/cups/cupsd.conf, and set "ServerName" to "localhost"
   (ok if you don't plan to use the network browsing features of CUPS)

OR

2) edit /etc/cups/cupsd.conf, locate the definition of the "/"
   resource (line starting with "<Location />"), and add the
   following line:

Allow From 156.89.3.* (note: use your actual subnet)

or

Allow From @LOCAL

   then restart the CUPS server.

Bye.