choosing resolution etc. per print job

Wolfgang Jeltsch wolfgang at jeltsch.net
Mon Jul 14 16:08:47 CEST 2003

On Monday, 2003-07-14, 09:48 Michael Goffioul wrote:
> [...]

> If you don't see any "Driver" tab in the printer properties dialog, then the
> usual cause is CUPS configuration: by default, CUPS forbid any non local
> connection, which can lead to this kind of problem if the PC is connected to
> a network.
>
> The usual solutions are:
> 1) edit /etc/cups/cupsd.conf, and set "ServerName" to "localhost"
>    (ok if you don't plan to use the network browsing features of CUPS)

Thank you, this works.

But I still don't know exactly why it works. You say that, by default, CUPS
forbids non-local connections. Why does changing the server name, CUPS
reports, the connections from non-local to local? Is a connection to
localhost considered non-local if the server doesn't identify itself as
running on localhost but on something like mymachine.mydomain?

Has changing the server name from the default value to localhost further
implications (probably concerning security)?

Again, thank you for your help.

> [...]

Wolfgang