choosing resolution etc. per print job

Wolfgang Jeltsch wolfgang at jeltsch.net
Sun Jul 13 19:26:09 CEST 2003

Hello,

some time ago, I used SuSE Linux 8.1 (KDE 3.0.?) and an EPSON Stylus Color
400. I set up my printer using SuSE's YaST configuration tool. If I clicked
on "Properties" in the KDE print dialog, I had the opportunity to select
certain printer-specific properties, like resolution, in a tree view.

Now I use Debian GNU/Linux 3.0r1 with the KDE 3.1.2 packages from the KDE
download site. My current printer is a EPSON Stylus C42UX. I configured it
with the web frontend of CUPS. Alas, now there is no facility for configuring
resolution and the like in the properties dialog.

What is the reason for the described configuration facility to
appear/disappear?

Thank you in advance.
Wolfgang