[Foomatic] Imageable area for HPIJS

Wolfgang Hoffmann kde-print@mail.kde.org
Sun, 12 Jan 2003 12:11:32 +0100

I think you are right, it's not a foomatic ppd problem. I now tried
printing an ASCII text on the command line with CUPS's lp, and
it gives correct output, in contrast to printing from KDE.

On Saturday 11 January 2003 01:03, Till Kamppeter wrote:
> I have checked and these seem to be KDE Print bugs. XPP shows the
> correct margin settings (gtklp is also buggy).

> The PPDs are designed exactly as Adobe requires it. If the KDE Printing
> Manager does not switch the degault of the ImageableArea correctly, it
> is a bug of the KDE Printing Manager. I even do not know whether it is
> necessary to switch the default of the ImageableArea, if an applications
> generates a document in A4, it should consult the '*ImageableArea A4:
> "..."' line, not the "*DefauiltImageableArea: ..." line.

Good, thanks for clarifying.

> > 2. After correcting the above manually, it seems that top and bottom
> > margins are swapped. Bottom should be the 36pt margin, shouldn't it?
>
> I have looked. In kprinter the upper and the lower margin are always
> shown equal, here always the value of the lower border (second figure in
> '*ImageableArea' line) is inserted. In xpp you see all the borders
> correctly. gtklp only shows borders defined in /etc/cups/lpoptions or
> ~/.lpoptions, not the borders from the '*ImageableArea' lines (I looked
> always on the tab for the text file options).

With KDE 3.1rc6, when printing plain text e.g. from KWrite, I see the
following in print dialog's "Properties->Margins" (not using custom
margins): top 1,284 bottom 0,314 left 0,314 right 0,342 cm

So it seems that the ppd file's ImageableArea is considered, but
printout is clipped at left and bottom. When I swap top and bottom as
well as left and right, i.e. set "Custom margins" top 0,314 bottom 1,284
left 0,342 right 0,314 cm, printout is perfect.

So it looks like KDE and PPD don't agree on where "top" is ...
Maybe someone with knowledge of the exact definitions can
clarify this?

Wolfgang