[Foomatic] Imageable area for HPIJS

Michael Goffioul kde-print@mail.kde.org
Mon, 13 Jan 2003 11:25:04 +0100

> > The PPDs are designed exactly as Adobe requires it. If the KDE Printing
> > Manager does not switch the degault of the ImageableArea correctly, it
> > is a bug of the KDE Printing Manager. I even do not know whether it is
> > necessary to switch the default of the ImageableArea, if an applications
> > generates a document in A4, it should consult the '*ImageableArea A4:
> > "..."' line, not the "*DefauiltImageableArea: ..." line.
>
> Good, thanks for clarifying.

I don't think this is necessary, but to be sure, I updated kdeprint
to save correctly ImageableArea and PaperDimension in the PPD file
(both in CVS-HEAD and 3.1 branch).

> > > 2. After correcting the above manually, it seems that top and bottom
> > > margins are swapped. Bottom should be the 36pt margin, shouldn't it?
> >
> > I have looked. In kprinter the upper and the lower margin are always
> > shown equal, here always the value of the lower border (second figure in
> > '*ImageableArea' line) is inserted. In xpp you see all the borders
> > correctly. gtklp only shows borders defined in /etc/cups/lpoptions or
> > ~/.lpoptions, not the borders from the '*ImageableArea' lines (I looked
> > always on the tab for the text file options).

In the context of KDEPrint, print margins are also meaningfull on the
client side, to produce PS, which is not the case of XPP or gtklp, that
simply passes options to the CUPS server; margins are meaningfull only
on server side. And margin values are only used when CUPS generates PS
itself (when you print text or image files), otherwise, if you feed
CUPS server with PS, I don't think those margin values are used at all.
Margin on client-side are only supported since KDE-3.1/Qt-3.1, because
Qt was missing the possibility to specify the print margins. Moreover,
with Qt < 3.1, margins were only specified with 2 values: top/bottom
and left/right. 4 values specification is new to Qt-3.1.
Margins on server-side are supported since almost the beginning. But
you can only find them when they are meaningfull, like when printing
a text file with "kprinter". That's why they are located in the "Text"
tab of the printer properties dialog.

> With KDE 3.1rc6, when printing plain text e.g. from KWrite, I see the
> following in print dialog's "Properties->Margins" (not using custom
> margins): top 1,284 bottom 0,314 left 0,314 right 0,342 cm
>
> So it seems that the ppd file's ImageableArea is considered, but
> printout is clipped at left and bottom. When I swap top and bottom as
> well as left and right, i.e. set "Custom margins" top 0,314 bottom 1,284
> left 0,342 right 0,314 cm, printout is perfect.
>
> So it looks like KDE and PPD don't agree on where "top" is ...
> Maybe someone with knowledge of the exact definitions can
> clarify this?

I don't have this behavior. I downloaded the HPIJS PPD file for a
HP DJ970C, tried to print from konqueror, specified the margins as
you did above, and in both case I got correct results (note: I didn't
actually print, I just cancelled it after previewing).

Michael Goffioul		IMEC-DESICS-MIRA
e-mail: goffioul@imec.be	(Mixed-Signal and RF Applications)
Tel:    +32/16/28-8510		Kapeldreef, 75
Fax:    +32/16/28-1515		3001 HEVERLEE, BELGIUM
This e-mail and/or its attachments may contain confidential
information.  It is intended solely for the intended addressee(s).
Any use of the information contained herein by other persons is
prohibited.  IMEC vzw does not accept any liability for the contents
of this e-mail and/or its attachments.