Understanding the export printer driver feature

Kurt Pfeifle kpfeifle at danka.de
Fri Apr 11 15:27:44 CEST 2003

A.Th.C.Hulst wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I had exactly the same problem as Chris Howells described in the thread:
>
> http://mail.kde.org/pipermail/kde-print/2003-January/000198.html
>
> Kurt Pfeife suggested to try and compile cups-1.1.18. It took me some
> fiddling, but I have a working system now. I have:
>
> cups-1.1.18 and the PostScript drivers that are for download on www.cups.org,
> together with samba-2.2.8a. Samba 3.0-alpha does NOT work. The trick that
> made it work however, is to only have the files
>
> ADFONTS.MFM  ADOBEPS4.DRV  ADOBEPS4.HLP  cupsdrvr.dll  cups.hlp  cupsui.dll
> DEFPRTR2.PPD  ICONLIB.DLL  PSMON.DLL
>
> in /usr/share/cups/drivers, and not ADOBEPS5 drivers. As Kurt suggested,
> start with a fresh install of the drivers by removing /etc/samba/drivers/*
> and rm -f /var/cache/samba/*.tbd (restart samba).
>
> One thing that made installation fail for me, was the fact that I use a W2k
> server as authentication server. Obviously, the domain does not know a user
> root (which is obligatory for cupsaddsmb).

I *think* you are wrong... (but I can't verify, because I don't have a
Windows domain environment here), regarding two points:

*1* cupsaddsmb doesn't *require* root (it makes it easier); you can have any
     "Samba user" and specify it with "-U". This:

        cupsaddsmb -U kurt -v DANKA_infotec_2035

     will prompt for the password of Samba user "kurt". Of course, the user
     needs to have write access to the [print$] share and must be a member
     of the Samba "printer admin" group, as defined within the [printers]
     section of smb.conf.... (root complies automatically, because he is
     always in the "printer admin" group.

*2* As far as authentication against a domain PDC is concerned, did you
     try this way to authenticate? See here:

        cupsaddsmb -U DOMAINNAME\\kurt -v DANKA_infotec_2035

     Note the two "\" signs (the first one to escape the second one...).
     Of course, Samba needs to be a domain member server to ask the PDC
     for the credentials, "kurt" needs to be a valid domain account as
     well as in the "printer admin" Samba group of users....

Cheers,
Kurt