Understanding the export printer driver feature

A.Th.C.Hulst hulst at argoss.nl
Fri Apr 11 15:35:59 CEST 2003

On Friday 11 April 2003 V 14:27, you wrote:
<SNIP>

> I *think* you are wrong... (but I can't verify, because I don't have a
> Windows domain environment here), regarding two points:
>
> *1* cupsaddsmb doesn't *require* root (it makes it easier); you can have
> any "Samba user" and specify it with "-U". This:
>
>         cupsaddsmb -U kurt -v DANKA_infotec_2035
Hmm, yes, tried that. cupsaddsmb still wanted to authenticate root. I've set

[printers]
    guest ok = yes
    printer admin = hulst

 [print$]
# (just to be sure, set it back later)
    guest ok = yes
    read only = yes
    write list = hulst

And I still got:
# cupsaddsmb -U hulst -a -v
Password for root required to access localhost via SAMBA:

Now, since it was pretty late yesterday, it might be that I forgot to restart
smb, but I'm pretty sure I did.

> *2* As far as authentication against a domain PDC is concerned, did you
>      try this way to authenticate? See here:
>
>         cupsaddsmb -U DOMAINNAME\\kurt -v DANKA_infotec_2035

No I didn't. That might have helped. It is true that I made a mess of the
authentication yesterday, because I couldn't get it to work.