kprinter und CUPS

Kurt Pfeifle kde-print@mail.kde.org
Tue, 01 Apr 2003 18:57:39 +0200

Arnulf Quadt wrote:

> I have a problem with printing under CUPS and KDE (3):
>  From the command line every user and root can print with
> lp -d printername file.ps
>

> If I want to print using kprinter only root can do this.

Please start kprinter. Don't print, instead select "System
Options..." (button at bottom). Choose "CUPS server" (icon
on the left). Check which "Host" and "Port" is there configured
for root.

Then do the same as a mortal user. See if it is different for
both.

Then, start "kprinter" and click "Properties". Select the
"Filters" tab. Check if there are any filters enabled. If so,
de-select all. "Save" & "OK".

Next, set "LogLevel debug" in "/etc/cups/cupsd.conf". Restart
cupsd. Do a

   "tail -f /var/log/cups/error_log" and a
   "tail -f /var/log/cups/page_log"

in 2 different xterms while kprinter is hanging.

> regular users do get the kprinter window, but clicking on the
> `print' button results in frizing this window and a CPU
> absorption of 99% by kprinter.

Is it really the "kprinter" process consuming the CPU?

> My suspicion is that kprinter works in two steps, first
> preparing/spooling the print job and then secondly sending the
> resulting tmp file to the printer via lp and CUPS. Could it be
> that a temporary spool directory does not have the correct
> permissions set or that some config file is corrupted ?
>
> What does kprinter do before sending something to CUPS ?
> In which directory does it write its tmp files ?
>
> Thanks a lot for your help !
>
>   Arnulf
>
> The version are (SUSE 8.1):

Have you checked the SuSE 8.1 Support Database for any entries?