kprinter und CUPS

Arnulf Quadt kde-print@mail.kde.org
Tue, 01 Apr 2003 19:56:27 +0200

>Arnulf Quadt wrote:
>>
>> I have a problem with printing under CUPS and KDE (3):
>>  From the command line every user and root can print with
>> lp -d printername file.ps
>>

>> If I want to print using kprinter only root can do this.
>
>Please start kprinter. Don't print, instead select "System
>Options..." (button at bottom). Choose "CUPS server" (icon
>on the left). Check which "Host" and "Port" is there configured
>for root.
>
>Then do the same as a mortal user. See if it is different for
>both.

It is the same for both, root and mortal users.

>Then, start "kprinter" and click "Properties". Select the
>"Filters" tab. Check if there are any filters enabled. If so,
>de-select all. "Save" & "OK".
No filters are present for root. For mortal users kprinter freezes
and uses 99% CPU when clicking on "Properties".

>Next, set "LogLevel debug" in "/etc/cups/cupsd.conf". Restart
>cupsd. Do a
>
>   "tail -f /var/log/cups/error_log" and a
>   "tail -f /var/log/cups/page_log"
>
>in 2 different xterms while kprinter is hanging.

page_log does not exist and nothing special appears in error_log while
kprinter starts hanging. It only show the long list of printers added
from the CUPS server, one by one ...

>> regular users do get the kprinter window, but clicking on the
>> `print' button results in frizing this window and a CPU
>> absorption of 99% by kprinter.
>
>Is it really the "kprinter" process consuming the CPU?
Yes, it is kprinter.
The temporary postscript files are written to /tmp/kde-$USER/...
For example trying to print a text file kprinter does the conversion
to the ps file and writes that one to /tmp/kde-$USER/...
but it does not send it to CUPS and hangs instead !

The `funny' thing is that this happens on a Linux cluster, namely
on the server, while printing from any client via kprinter works
just fine.

>> My suspicion is that kprinter works in two steps, first
>> preparing/spooling the print job and then secondly sending the
>> resulting tmp file to the printer via lp and CUPS. Could it be
>> that a temporary spool directory does not have the correct
>> permissions set or that some config file is corrupted ?
>>
>> What does kprinter do before sending something to CUPS ?
>> In which directory does it write its tmp files ?
>>
>> Thanks a lot for your help !
>>
>>   Arnulf
>>
>> The version are (SUSE 8.1):
>
>Have you checked the SuSE 8.1 Support Database for any entries?
No solution found there either...