kprinter und CUPS

Arnulf Quadt kde-print@mail.kde.org
Tue, 01 Apr 2003 18:26:28 +0200

I have a problem with printing under CUPS and KDE (3):
 From the command line every user and root can print with
lp -d printername file.ps

If I want to print using kprinter only root can do this.
regular users do get the kprinter window, but clicking on the
`print' button results in frizing this window and a CPU
absorption of 99% by kprinter.

My suspicion is that kprinter works in two steps, first
preparing/spooling the print job and then secondly sending the
resulting tmp file to the printer via lp and CUPS. Could it be
that a temporary spool directory does not have the correct
permissions set or that some config file is corrupted ?

What does kprinter do before sending something to CUPS ?
In which directory does it write its tmp files ?

Thanks a lot for your help !

   Arnulf

The version are (SUSE 8.1):
Qt: 3.0.5