[Kde-print-devel] Report of Linux Printing Summit. Part1:observations

Cristian Tibirna tibirna at kde.org
Thu Apr 20 03:04:37 CEST 2006

On 19 April 2006 10:28, Goffioul Michael wrote:

> > > Is this about the possibility for the driver to customize the UI of
> > > the printing/driver dialog, in the way it is done under Windows?
> >
> > I don't know about the similarity to windows, but yes.
>
> Well, under Windows, the printer-specific properties dialog is usually
> part of
> the driver,

Yes, I know this. And while accepting it does justice to the printer, I
believe it doesn't do so to the user. Users are very easily confused by 10
kinds of printing dialogs in an environment with many printers (education,
corporate).

What I meant is, I don't know if printer manufacturers would want to bring
Linux to a situation similar as windows today. Perhaps yes. But I felt they
were ready to look at other propositions, if good enough (or even hopefully
better).

--
Cristian Tibirna
KDE developer .. tibirna at kde.org .. http://www.kde.org