Fwd: Hayes

Marc Mutz kde-policies@mail.kde.org
Tue, 28 Jan 2003 00:52:52 +0100

--Boundary-02=_VZcN+SVu6WY7GAt

On Tuesday 28 January 2003 00:16, Neil Stevens wrote:
<snip>
> So now here we are in kde-policies, with a simple question:  Does the
> maintainer of a plugin-based application have veto power over what
> plugins get included in the release?  And does that veto power carry
> over to the kdeaddons package of extra plugins, too?
<snip>

I'd say yes and yes. Plugins can deeply change the internals of=20
applications and lead to unstable apps.

As far as plugins distributed with KDE releases are concerned, plugins=20
are oftern not very visible, so a badly written plugin will reflect=20
back badly on the app (maintainer).

Things are of course different if the plugin is not distributed with=20
KDE. In that case, the user normally needs to install the plugin off=20
appsy or whatever and thus is well aware of the plugin as an entity of=20
it's own, separate from the app.

Marc

=2D-=20
'When you see the ping of death, duck and cover.'
                        -- Bruce Schneier, Crypto-Gram Oct 2002