Fwd: Hayes

Neil Stevens kde-policies@mail.kde.org
Mon, 27 Jan 2003 15:16:27 -0800

On Monday January 27, 2003 12:55, Rob Kaper wrote:
> Neil wrote Hayes without implementing a part of the API completely,
> properties, because he's he claims he  doesn't like the concept of
> properties.  Properties are like X-atoms.  Any plugin should be able to
> set a key-value pair, like "copyright"->"Virgin Schallplatten GmbH".=20
> Neil decided that he doesn't like this, so basically, setting a property
> results in nothing happening.

This is only half-true.  Previously, in an attempt to compromise, I=20
implemented these dictionaries so that they would be saved for the life of=
=20
the application.  They just wouldn't be saved after the app quit.

Charles disabled Hayes from release even after this.

> So then, I finally get Neil to make property support optional, and he
> implements another feature, which allows you to add a file to Hayes
> right from a Konqueror context menu (indeed a nice feature!).  It
> communicates to Hayes via its own DCOP interface, rather than using
> Noatun's own dcop interface function "addFile".  Mind you this item
> appears on the Konqueror context menu even if Hayes isn't loaded. Ok,
> very well, I'll just ask Neil to change it to use the noatun function.=20
> Turns out he didn't implement the noatun function, because he didn't
> like the *name* of the function addFile. Not only this, but he wrote
> hayes before we released 3.0 (and hence before I started keeping Binary
> Compat), so he had ample time to tell me he didn't like the name
> "addFile" and to suggest an alternative.

Adding a file and playing a file are two completely different things. =20
That's why I "didn't like the name."

But here's the issue Charles seems to have forgotten to bring up:  Hayes=20
was created and developed in CVS, in kdemultimedia.  But Charles, as=20
Noatun maintainer, decided it was unfit for release.  So we moved it to=20
kdeaddons.  But Charles also claims that as Noatun maintainer, he decides=20
what goes there and what doesn't.  So I cvs removed the app, because after=
=20
three people enabling the app (me, Rob Kaper, Kevin Puetz) it was clear=20
that Charles was decided on the matter.  And with the option of separate=20
releases available, it wasn't worth it to me to fight.

So, then comes Hayes 1.2, which included some very nice optimizations by=20
Carsten Pfeiffer.  Carsten has asked me to return Hayes to CVS, giving me=20
his opinion that Charles doesn't have control over kdeaddons.  Not knowing=
=20
what people think, I asked kde-multimedia for opinions.

So now here we are in kde-policies, with a simple question:  Does the=20
maintainer of a plugin-based application have veto power over what plugins=
=20
get included in the release?  And does that veto power carry over to the=20
kdeaddons package of extra plugins, too?

=2D --=20
Neil Stevens - neil@qualityassistant.com
"Distinctions by race are so evil, so arbitrary and insidious that a
state bound to defend the equal protection of the laws must not allow
them in any public sphere." -- Thurgood Marshall