FLA

Richard Moore kde-policies@mail.kde.org
Thu, 06 Feb 2003 20:40:26 +0000

Marc Mutz wrote:

> On Thursday 06 February 2003 20:37, Richard Moore wrote:
> <snip>
> > Definitely. I for one, will not assign my copyright to anyone else. I
> > do not trust the FSF at all - they have changed what they say the GPL
> > means time and again, and I have no faith that even future GPL
> > versions will match what I want. I have removed the 'future versions'
> > clause from some of my code already, and I will do so for the rest
> > should this become
> > policy.
> <snip>
>
> 1. FSF (NA) != FSF Europe
> 2. Read the FLA before trying to comment on it, _please_. You'd have
> noticed that you retain all use rights, esp. are free to re-license the
> code and re-use it anywhere you want. There's nothing that effectively
> changes for you, except that your code is cared for in court and if you
> lose interest or die. The contract becomes void if the FSF doesn't act
> on your behalf, etc, etc.

Certainly, *but* they gain the right to relicense the code under a more
liberal regeme than I want. They also gain the right to make it harder
for the average person to get hold of the code under *my* chosen
license.
The license you refer to is totally irrelevent because by assigning the
copyright to them, they get the right to use any license they choose.

Your other point needs more attention, so I will respond to it later.

Rich.