Voting rights - the GNOME way

Zack Rusin kde-policies@mail.kde.org
Sat, 23 Nov 2002 01:10:52 -0500

On Friday 22 November 2002 17:27, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> Now, http://developer.kde.org/documentation/licensing/policy.html
> exists because I wrote it and so far not too many people seem to
> disagree with it, but I don't think that is a proper way to make
> decisions that potentially affect many KDE developers.

It exists and not many applications follow it. If any fully. Even such
an important application like KMail is missing license headers on quite
a few files.
I don't know if it will seem too extreme for some people but I'd propose
that KDE project every year picks a group of five (maybe three)
developers that serve the purpose of CVS sheriffs. Elections would
determine who will take those positions. Voting would be limited to
people with CVS accounts and people taking a part in elections would
have to demonstrate significant commitment to KDE project.
The responsibilities of CVS sheriffs would include :
a) making sure that all code in CVS follows
http://developer.kde.org/documentation/licensing/policy.html
b) making sure that names of all applications/libraries do not put the
KDE project at risk for copyright infringement,
c) making sure that no application not following the above points is
imported to KDE CVS.
Every piece of code not following their decisions/advisories is removed
from CVS.
I think that having a designated group of people taking care of those
things would greatly help the project.

Zack

--
The answer to the Question of Life, the Universe and Everything
is... 42