Thoughts on when to put/remove applications to/from CVS

Matthias Welwarsky kde-policies@mail.kde.org
Thu, 19 Dec 2002 09:53:20 +0100

--Boundary-02=_FkYA+GCZ7TqVX3T

On Thursday 19 December 2002 00:19, Michael Brade wrote:
> On Wednesday 18 December 2002 23:50, Neil Stevens wrote:
> > In general, though, I don't see how a relatively small, unassuming niche
> > app can hurt to be in the release.  Or to use a formulation like yours,
> > if the number of complaints multiplied by the number of compressed bytes
> > is small, and the app otherwise meets standards, then it's safe to
> > stay/be included. :-)
>
> Agreed. After all we are not discussing to remove apps but to define
> policies for which apps to add to the "core" CVS in the future. My example
> about removing an app was just to turn thinking the other way round for t=
he
> case where one says "well, it doesn't hurt so let's include it".

I'd say, the policy should be there so that we can avoid removing applicati=
ons=20
wherever possible. Removing stuff is always a bad thing. Users develop=20
habits. So we should be very strict about what we put into a "Release" to=20
make sure it can actually stay there for a long time.

Still, if someone asks for an application to be in CVS we should consider=20
kdeextragear first.

regards,
	matze

=2D-=20
Matthias Welwarsky
=46achschaft Informatik FH Darmstadt
Email: matze@stud.fbi.fh-darmstadt.de

"all software sucks equally, but some software is more equal"