kmail serious problems

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Wed Feb 8 17:50:10 GMT 2023

On Mittwoch, 8. Februar 2023 18:30:43 CET David Bryant wrote:
> On Tuesday, February 7, 2023 3:11:40 PM CST Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> > What about the around 100 "unreferenced external files" ?
> > Anything I could/should do about that ?
>
> Oh, yeah. I failed to mention that those files are just garbage. You can
> remove them easily:
>
> *~ $* find .local/share/akonadi/file_db_data/ -type f|xargs rm

This is dangerous if the filenames contain spaces (which in this case they
don't). In any case, find has a -delete option which makes the use of xargs
superfluous, i.e. you can simply do
```
$ find .local/share/akonadi/file_db_data/ -type f -delete
```

But really, I think that's bad advice. You shouldn't blindly dump everything
in file_db_data. To my knowledge, those files represent larger emails that are
not stored directly in the database. In other words, deleting everything will
delete the locally cached copies of all larger emails. This may be harmless,
if the emails are still stored elsewhere (e.g. the IMAP server), but, for
obvious reason, you won't be able to read those emails when you are offline once
you have deleted them locally.

Regards,
Ingo