kmail serious problems

David Bryant davidbryant at gvtc.com
Wed Feb 8 17:30:43 GMT 2023

On Tuesday, February 7, 2023 3:11:40 PM CST Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> What about the around 100 "unreferenced external files" ?
> Anything I could/should do about that ?

Oh, yeah. I failed to mention that those files are just garbage. You can remove them easily:

*~ $* find .local/share/akonadi/file_db_data/ -type f|xargs rm

That command line finds all the files in the .../file_db_data/ directory, then pipes the
resulting list of file names through "xargs" and thence to "rm". If you issue that command
line when there are no such files, you'll get an error message.

This stuff all went into the KMail Handbook about a year and a half ago. In KMail select
Help --> KMail Handbook, then go to 7. KMail Troubleshooting. You probably ought to read
the whole chapter.

I wish I could find the bug, but it's elusive. I run the

*~ $* akonadictl fsck 2>&1 | grep ^Found

command every day. It usually finds one or two "phantom" database entries. I clean them
out regularly. It's a bit of a pain, but better than having a lot of non-existent "messages" in
the message index.
--
David Bryant
Canyon Lake, Texas