Poll: sorting to-dos by priority

Glen Ditchfield GJDitchfield at acm.org
Tue Jun 15 18:16:59 BST 2021

On Tuesday, June 15, 2021 11:13:15 A.M. CDT Volker Krause wrote:
> On Montag, 14. Juni 2021 23:24:13 CEST Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> > On Montag, 14. Juni 2021 22:18:31 CEST Glen Ditchfield wrote:
> > > The iCalendar standard defines a priority to be a single-digit integer,
> > > with 1 being the highest priority and 9 being the lowest.  So, if you
> > > sort a list of to-dos by priority in ascending order, what do you expect
> > > to see?>
> > >
> > >  A) 1, 2, 3, ... 9 (lowest to highest number)
> > >  B) 9, 8, 7, ... 1 (lowest to highest priority)
> > >
> > > KOrganizer's printed to-do list uses order A, due to code in the
> > > KCalendarCore library, but the on-screen to-do list uses order B.  I'd
> > > like
> > > to pick one.
> >
> > I would expect the to-dos to be printed in the same order as they are
> > displayed.
>
> Same here.

To be clear:  currently the printed list and the displayed list do not use the
same ordering, and I would like to fix that.

> > Further, I'd expect to be able to choose whether I want the
> > to-dos to be sorted by ascending or descending order of priority.
>
> And if that's not available, I'd expect highest priority first as the
> default order.

To be clear:  currently, both the printed list and the displayed list allow
users to choose between "sort in ascending order" and "sort in descending
order".  Unfortunately, they disagree on what "ascending" and "descending"
mean.

My question is, if you have chosen to sort a list of to-dos by priority in
*ascending* order, would you prefer to see the to-dos sorted as