Blog Post

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Fri Aug 27 21:43:05 BST 2021

On Freitag, 27. August 2021 16:06:29 CEST David Bryant wrote:
> I have also cleaned up the images ... I cropped them a little bit (I find
> the shadowy background effect to be annoying)

Thanks. Spectacle includes those shadows in the screenshots if one takes
screenshots of windows including the window decoration and I really wanted the
window borders in the screenshots. But I should've cropped the images myself.

> and ran them through pngquant
> (a data compression program that reduces most .png image file sizes by ~65%
> - 70%, by utilizing a 256-color palette (8 bits) in lieu of 24-bit color).
> Image quality is almost perfect ... fancy color- choosing algorithms are
> used to create a customized palette for each image processed by pngquant.
> Pretty slick.

I guess converting to jpeg would have also worked, but maybe with minor jpeg
artifacts.

Regards,
Ingo