Want to help make improvements

Daniel Vrátil dvratil at kde.org
Sun Jul 15 12:08:08 BST 2018

Sorry, I hit the Send button too early :-), more comments inline.

On Sunday, 15 July 2018 13:03:20 CEST Daniel Vrátil wrote:
> On Saturday, 14 July 2018 06:30:15 CEST Doran L. Barton wrote:
> > Howdy KDE-PIM developers!
>
> Hi Doran!
>
> > I'm a long-time software developer, but I've never contributed to any KDE
> > projects, but my frustration compels me to want to do something. I've used
> > kmail and kontact off and on for years. Each time I give it a go, I end up
> > moving to another IMAP client because of random issues.
> >
> > I was using Claws instead of kmail on my Fedora systems but when Fedora 28
> > came out, they removed the "fancy" plugin for Claws because of a
> > dependency
> > on gtkhtml or some other HTML rendering library. So, now I'm back to
> > kmail.
> > I use it to read mail from four IMAP accounts, all of which are perfectly
> > readable using mutt. One of those accounts, with my employer, Bluehost,
> > doesn't work at all. kmail says the resource is broken.
> >
> > One account is for an with Amazon WorkMail. It works fine but when I try
> > send mail from my Gmail account, it insists on using the WorkMail account
> > even though kmail's configuration says e-mail from my gmail identity
> > should
> > go through smtp.gmail.com.
>
> Hmm, I've never seen such problem, and I've been using multiple IMAP
> accounts with bunch of different identities for a long time.
>
> Can you double-check in the IMAP resource settings (in the Advanced tab)
> that the right Identity is selected, and that the Outgoing account in the
> Identity settings is set up correctly as well?

Also please check if you can still reproduce it on the latest release of KDE
PIM (18.04.3).

> > Another account works fine on my desktop computer, but won't retrieve
> > messages on my laptop unless I restart akonadi, so I'm having to do that
> > constantly throughout the day.
>
> That one I've heard about :( Sometimes the Akonadi Resource gets stuck in an
> undefined state that it cannot recover from, although there have been some
> fixes in this area lately.

You can check in Akonadi Console (maybe you will need to install it first, it's
not installed by default on some distros) what state the stuck IMAP resource
is in (right-click the Agent and select "Show task list", it should say
"Syncing" (or something like that) or "Invalid task" (which means it's not
doing anything). If it says something like "Connecting" and says so for a long
time, then it probably got stuck.

It has been reported (IIRC) that sometimes the resources get stuck on laptops
after resuming from suspend due to network changes. Maybe check, if that might
be related.

> > So, how can I help troubleshoot and report these issues so that I or
> > someone else can figure what is wrong with KDE-PIM? I'm tired of pining
> > for a graphical mutt.
>
> Regarding the wrong sending account, you could try running Kontact/Kmail
> from terminal with full logging enabled and see if it shows anything
> interesting when you try to send an email.
>
> For the one when your sync gets stuck, please test with the latest version
> of PIM first, and see if maybe is resolved there. If not, you could run the
> entire Akonadi will full logging from terminal and hope that there will be
> something in the logs.

If you don't want to play around with your production set up or your distro
does not ship the latest KDE PIM, I'd recommend getting the KDE Neon Developer
Edition Git-Stable and setting up a VM to test the accounts.

Dan

--
Daniel Vrátil
www.dvratil.cz | dvratil at kde.org

GPG Key: 0x4D69557AECB13683
Fingerprint: 0ABD FA55 A4E6 BEA9 9A83 EA97 4D69 557A ECB1 3683