Developing KDE PIM with Docker

Daniel Vrátil dvratil at kde.org
Wed Nov 1 08:54:35 GMT 2017

On Wednesday, 1 November 2017 01:30:40 CET David Jarvie wrote:
> On Thursday 07 Sep 2017 20:49:23 Daniel Vrátil wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > if you would like to start contributing to KDE PIM or you are already a
> > seasoned PIM hacker, you may be having troubles getting all the
> > dependencies and build order right (we can't blame you, it's quite
> > complicated!), or you are concerned with isolating your production and
> > development instances of Kontact, check this out:
> >
> > https;//community.kde.org/KDE_PIM/Docker
> >
> > We now have a Docker image based on Neon, which comes with all the
> > necessary dependencies and development tools pre-installed and an
> > environment set up to run Kontact and Akonadi inside of the container.
> >
> > Since this is my first Docker image ever, feel free to suggest
> > improvements, send patches etc. ;-)
>
> Hi Dan,

Hi David,

> This looks really useful, since I haven't been able to build up to date
> kdepim sources for a long time now due to the QtWebEngine dependency. I
> looked at your documentation, but I'm not really clear about the
> prerequisites for building/running a docker image. The Neon docker page
> https://community.kde.org/Neon/Docker seems to indicate that I would need to
> do the following in order to build the kdepim docker image:
>
> sudo apt install docker.io xserver-xephyr
> sudo usermod -aG docker $(whoami)
> newgrp docker
>
> Is that all that is required in order to build and run docker images?

That looks like all you need to do, yes.

> It would be useful to add this information to your kdepim docker page.

I deliberately did not put any instructions how to setup Docker, since it
differs slightly from distro to distro. I'll add intructions for Neon at
least.

Cheers,
Dan

--
Daniel Vrátil
www.dvratil.cz | dvratil at kde.org

GPG Key: 0x4D69557AECB13683
Fingerprint: 0ABD FA55 A4E6 BEA9 9A83 EA97 4D69 557A ECB1 3683