Developing KDE PIM with Docker

David Jarvie djarvie at kde.org
Wed Nov 1 17:16:37 GMT 2017

On Wednesday 01 Nov 2017 09:54:35 Daniel Vrátil wrote:
> On Wednesday, 1 November 2017 01:30:40 CET David Jarvie wrote:
> > On Thursday 07 Sep 2017 20:49:23 Daniel Vrátil wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > if you would like to start contributing to KDE PIM or you are already a
> > > seasoned PIM hacker, you may be having troubles getting all the
> > > dependencies and build order right (we can't blame you, it's quite
> > > complicated!), or you are concerned with isolating your production and
> > > development instances of Kontact, check this out:
> > >
> > > https;//community.kde.org/KDE_PIM/Docker
> > >
> > > We now have a Docker image based on Neon, which comes with all the
> > > necessary dependencies and development tools pre-installed and an
> > > environment set up to run Kontact and Akonadi inside of the container.
> > >
> > > Since this is my first Docker image ever, feel free to suggest
> > > improvements, send patches etc. ;-)
> >
> > Hi Dan,
>
> Hi David,
>
> > This looks really useful, since I haven't been able to build up to date
> > kdepim sources for a long time now due to the QtWebEngine dependency. I
> > looked at your documentation, but I'm not really clear about the
> > prerequisites for building/running a docker image. The Neon docker page
> > https://community.kde.org/Neon/Docker seems to indicate that I would need
> > to do the following in order to build the kdepim docker image:
> >
> > sudo apt install docker.io xserver-xephyr
> > sudo usermod -aG docker $(whoami)
> > newgrp docker
> >
> > Is that all that is required in order to build and run docker images?
>
> That looks like all you need to do, yes.
>
> > It would be useful to add this information to your kdepim docker page.
>
> I deliberately did not put any instructions how to setup Docker, since it
> differs slightly from distro to distro. I'll add intructions for Neon at
> least.

Thanks for updating the page. I've now built a container using the build.sh
script, but when I run it using run.sh and try to build kdepim using kdesrc-
build, it fails with the following error:

Exception message: mkdir /home/neon/kdepim/src: Read-only file system at
/home/neon/kdesrc-build/modules/ksb/Util.pm line 205.

It's only the /home/neon/kdepim directory which is read-only: /home/neon and
/home/neon/kdesrc-build are both writable.

I tried changing the directory supplied as a parameter to run.sh, but that
didn't help. (Strangely, it had a kdepim-docker subdirectory in it when viewed
in docker, although that doesn't exist in the host computer directory. The
first directory I supplied to run.sh actually did have the kdepim-docker
subdirectory in it - could some memory of that first directory have been
retained and now be screwing things up?)

I also tried editing run.sh to include "--read-only=false" to ensure that the
container wouldn't be loaded read-only, but again that doesn't help. Evidently
some step is missing to enable read-write access.

--
David Jarvie.
KDE developer.