Developing KDE PIM with Docker

David Jarvie djarvie at astrojar.org.uk
Wed Nov 1 00:30:40 GMT 2017

On Thursday 07 Sep 2017 20:49:23 Daniel Vrátil wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> if you would like to start contributing to KDE PIM or you are already a
> seasoned PIM hacker, you may be having troubles getting all the dependencies
> and build order right (we can't blame you, it's quite complicated!), or you
> are concerned with isolating your production and development instances of
> Kontact, check this out:
>
> https;//community.kde.org/KDE_PIM/Docker
>
> We now have a Docker image based on Neon, which comes with all the necessary
> dependencies and development tools pre-installed and an environment set up
> to run Kontact and Akonadi inside of the container.
>
> Since this is my first Docker image ever, feel free to suggest improvements,
> send patches etc. ;-)

Hi Dan,

This looks really useful, since I haven't been able to build up to date kdepim
sources for a long time now due to the QtWebEngine dependency. I looked at
your documentation, but I'm not really clear about the prerequisites for
building/running a docker image. The Neon docker page
https://community.kde.org/Neon/Docker seems to indicate that I would need to
do the following in order to build the kdepim docker image:

sudo apt install docker.io xserver-xephyr
sudo usermod -aG docker $(whoami)
newgrp docker

Is that all that is required in order to build and run docker images?

It would be useful to add this information to your kdepim docker page.

Thanks,
David.