Review Request 130051: Allow the user to silence some sync warnings

Daniel Vrátil dvratil at kde.org
Wed Mar 29 08:19:17 BST 2017

On Wednesday, March 29, 2017 8:59:22 AM CEST Martin Koller wrote:
> On Wednesday, 29 March 2017 08:02:37 CEST Daniel Vrátil wrote:
> > We still need to clear the flag after the connection is succesfully
> > established, otherwise the user won't ever again be warned about it,
> > which is not desirable, so then you should call
> > `KMessageBox::enableMessage()`, probably in `loginJobResult()` before
> > calling `advanceStep()`.
> I have to disagree here, since this would make the solution useless
> considering my initial bug report scenario:
>
> I have a POP account, which nicely works, except when I'm in the company
> network, since they block POP. The POP account are my private mails and I'm
> ok with not getting them while in the company. When I'm at home, POP works,
> all fine.

If they are blocking POP3 on the level that connection to server is
successfull but authentication fails then I'd have a serious discussion with
your IT...however if they block the overall connection, which I assume is the
case here, then the patch here is wrong, it should simply switch the resource
into offline state. The KIO slave should be reporting that via
ERR_COULD_NOT_CONNECT, so the resource should be checking for that and not
only assume that LoginJob failure means authentication failure.

> I go to work, POP fails, I get the error dialog, I check "don't bother me
> again", all fine again. No I come home, POP works again, all fine, but now
> my checkmark is gone, which means: tomorrow I will have the same problem in
> the company again and get the error dialog again. This is therefore no
> improvement at all.

Now imagine you come to a hotel or some other place and POP will be failing
there for some reason and you miss an important email, because you didn't know
KMail wasn't actually even able to check your emails, becasue there wasn't any
warning...I understand your use case, but you have to remember there are also
other users, who will not expect the behaviour that Albert's patch introduces.

Dan

--
Daniel Vrátil
www.dvratil.cz | dvratil at kde.org

GPG Key: 0x4D69557AECB13683
Fingerprint: 0ABD FA55 A4E6 BEA9 9A83 EA97 4D69 557A ECB1 3683