Review Request 130051: Allow the user to silence some sync warnings

Martin Koller kollix at aon.at
Wed Mar 29 09:00:54 BST 2017

On Wednesday, 29 March 2017 09:19:17 CEST Daniel Vrátil wrote:
> On Wednesday, March 29, 2017 8:59:22 AM CEST Martin Koller wrote:
> > On Wednesday, 29 March 2017 08:02:37 CEST Daniel Vrátil wrote:
> > > We still need to clear the flag after the connection is succesfully
> > > established, otherwise the user won't ever again be warned about it,
> > > which is not desirable, so then you should call
> > > `KMessageBox::enableMessage()`, probably in `loginJobResult()` before
> > > calling `advanceStep()`.
> > I have to disagree here, since this would make the solution useless
> > considering my initial bug report scenario:
> >
> > I have a POP account, which nicely works, except when I'm in the company
> > network, since they block POP. The POP account are my private mails and I'm
> > ok with not getting them while in the company. When I'm at home, POP works,
> > all fine.
>
> If they are blocking POP3 on the level that connection to server is
> successfull but authentication fails then I'd have a serious discussion with
> your IT...however if they block the overall connection, which I assume is the
> case here, then the patch here is wrong, it should simply switch the resource
> into offline state. The KIO slave should be reporting that via
> ERR_COULD_NOT_CONNECT, so the resource should be checking for that and not
> only assume that LoginJob failure means authentication failure.

It seems the route to the server is blocked completely.

Doing telnet securemail.a1.net 995 also just times out.

kmail gives me now (I have the company VPN activated, which
leads to the same or a similar problem):

Unable to login to the server securemail.a1.net.
Timeout on server
securemail.a1.net: Socket operation timed out

> > I go to work, POP fails, I get the error dialog, I check "don't bother me
> > again", all fine again. No I come home, POP works again, all fine, but now
> > my checkmark is gone, which means: tomorrow I will have the same problem in
> > the company again and get the error dialog again. This is therefore no
> > improvement at all.
>
> Now imagine you come to a hotel or some other place and POP will be failing
> there for some reason and you miss an important email, because you didn't know
> KMail wasn't actually even able to check your emails, becasue there wasn't any
> warning...I understand your use case, but you have to remember there are also
> other users, who will not expect the behaviour that Albert's patch introduces.

And therefore I already suggested to _always_ use a passive KNotification.
That is always shown, I don't need to close it via click, it does not interrupt my
current work and therefore does not get into my way.

Is this not possible or what am I missing ?

--
Best regards/Schöne Grüße

Martin
A: Because it breaks the logical sequence of discussion
Q: Why is top posting bad?

/\                        - against proprietary attachments

Geschenkideen, Accessoires, Seifen, Kulinarisches: www.lillehus.at