kmail hangs when downloading email

Krzysztof Nowicki krissn at op.pl
Sun Dec 17 19:35:43 GMT 2017

Dnia sobota, 16 grudnia 2017 22:42:28 CET John Perry pisze:
> Hello

Hi,

> Kmail works okay on some of my accounts and some of my computers, but on one
> IMAP account on one computer it likes to hang when downloading email. For
> instance, right now it's saying, "Syncing folder 'Trash' (100%)" and if I
> click on an email nothing happens; if I double-click a dialog pops up
> stating, "Please wait while the message is transferred," but nothing ever
> happens.
>
> I looked at Akonadi Console and I see that a number of "SyncCollection" jobs
> are left at state "Waiting" with info "491", "492", ..., "496". There's
> also a "SyncAllDone" and "SyncCollectionAttributes" left at state
> "Waiting". The Job Tracker tells me that Akonadi::ItemSync is Running on
> Collection 490 (INBOX) and Akonadi::TransactionSequence is Running, but
> every instance of Akonadi::ItemCreateJob and Akonadi::ItemFetchJob has
> ended.
>
> I once deleted this kmail account (IMAP, so no great loss) and re-created it
> and it seemed to work, but after not very long at all it started hanging
> again.
>
> Does anyone have a suggestion on what might be going wrong, and how to fix
> it?

I'm seeing this regularly on both of my IMAP accounts (Google & a Polish local
webportal Onet.pl). Sometimes it helps to toggle offline/online status, but
ultimately the only reliable way to restore synchronisation is to restart the
Akonadi server ("akonadictl restart" from the command line).

I've enabled KIMAP verbose logging and for me it seems that the IMAP resource
breaks some internal state machine and deadlocks itself. This would need some
KIMAP expert to debug more thoroughly and I'm willing to help if needed.

One think that helps to reduce this problem is to keep the number of messages
in each folder at a low level. The more messages the more chance it will pop
eventually.

Regards
Chris