kmail hangs when downloading email

John Perry john.perry at usm.edu
Wed Dec 20 20:45:40 GMT 2017

Hi

On Sunday, December 17, 2017 1:35:43 PM CST Krzysztof Nowicki wrote:
> I'm seeing this regularly on both of my IMAP accounts (Google & a Polish
> local webportal Onet.pl).

For me it's just the one account. Another one works fine.

> Sometimes it helps to toggle offline/online
> status, but ultimately the only reliable way to restore synchronisation is
> to restart the Akonadi server ("akonadictl restart" from the command line).

I can restart the agent from akonadiconsole, and that makes it sync, but then
it hangs at what seems to be the end of the sync.

I'm not so sure about restarting akonadi proper. I just tried it and it seemed
to work, but given that I've restarted the machine several times since this
phenomenon started, and invariably the same problem appears, I don't think
that fixes it permanently, if at all.

> I've enabled KIMAP verbose logging and for me it seems that the IMAP
> resource breaks some internal state machine and deadlocks itself. This
> would need some KIMAP expert to debug more thoroughly and I'm willing to
> help if needed.

If you can be specific about what I need to do, I can try to provide more
information.

> One think that helps to reduce this problem is to keep the number of
> messages in each folder at a low level. The more messages the more chance
> it will pop eventually.

Ironically, the account that works fine has many, many more messages in its
folders than this one.

regards
john perry

--
John Perry, PhD + Associate Professor of Mathematics
University of Southern Mississippi

Proof is for mathematicians and whiskey.
    -- internet forum