[Kde-pim] Kleopatra / GpgME++ maintainership

Sandro Knauß sknauss at kde.org
Tue Oct 13 21:59:04 BST 2015

Hi,

> After maintaining Kleopatra as part of Gpg4win since 2013 I'd like to
> officially take over the maintainership of Kleopatra and Gpgme++.

gratulations! I didn't knew some month ago, that kleopatra is that widespread
in the windows world.

I really like your ideas for improving kleopatra.

> I'd also like to move libkleo and Kleopatra out of the main kdepim
> repository as I think it makes sense and it would help with dependency
> management without something like the old KDEPIM_ONLY_KLEO hack. :-)
>
> libkleo should imo also become a framework library with a stable API, as
> already suggested in the kdepim tasks.

I think the splitting is the right step forward - especially making libkleo a
frameworks sounds good, if the interface is really stable.

One issue poped up in the last month, when trying to compile kontact together
with gnupg is that the way of compiling is different for gpg4win than our
build setup (emerge). Kontact is also using libkleo&gpgme++ for crypto
support, so we need to make sure, that kleopatra and kontact can be compiled
both on windows and play together. Is there a way to make sure, that kontact
can use libkleo without compiling it on its own? Also with the movement of a
mobile kontact version, we may also look into the requirements to compile it
there. But Gpg4All also want to address mobile devices, so there is no big
difference in the goals...

Regards,

sandro