[Kde-pim] The Future or KDE PIM Releases

Sandro Knauß mail at sandroknauss.de
Tue Apr 14 08:52:26 BST 2015

Hey,

> Did you discuss the migration path? I'm asking because when we introduced
> Akonadi migration was a disaster (despite Kevin Krammer's heroic effort to
> write a migrator). We shouldn't repeat the same mistake. In particular, you
> shouldn't underestimate the effort the migration takes. I suggest to not
> write the migration after Akonadi Next is done, but to write the migration
> (including real-world tests) alongside Akonadi Next.

Not till now. But the migration should be much more easier, because akonadi is
now a standalone server. We are not switching the concept how the data is
structureized in general. At the moment is far to early to talk about
migration. At first a new resource and than we can look how to migrate.

But because we now have unchained the next release of kdepim from akonadi next
we can take our time to first write a working resource and than digging into
migration. And make the switch to akonadi next, when it is ready.

Regards,

sandro