[Kde-pim] The Future or KDE PIM Releases

Christian Mollekopf chrigi_1 at fastmail.fm
Tue Apr 14 10:50:35 BST 2015

Hi Ingo,

On Sun, Apr 12, 2015, at 09:21 PM, Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> On Sunday 12 April 2015 11:31:26 Daniel Vrátil wrote:
> > Once this is done (and once
> > Akonadi Next is done) we simply switch the translation layers in
> > applications to use Akonadi Next instead of Akonadi and be done with it. We
> > find this to be the least disruptive approach for users since we will have
> > stable and regular releases of KDE PIM while steadily working towards the
> > switch and then just switching to Akonadi Next at some point, ideally
> > without users really noticing.
>
> Did you discuss the migration path? I'm asking because when we introduced
> Akonadi migration was a disaster (despite Kevin Krammer's heroic effort
> write a migrator). We shouldn't repeat the same mistake. In particular,
> you
> shouldn't underestimate the effort the migration takes. I suggest to not
> write
> the migration after Akonadi Next is done, but to write the migration
> (including real-world tests) alongside Akonadi Next.

We didn't discuss it explicitly, but I'm aware that this is a topic that
greatly affects the initial experience,
and that we have to provide a migration path for all local-only content.

I will start looking into that as I get to writing the first resources.

> > Regarding our underlaying libraries, we intend to release the following
> > frameworks as soon as possible, since they are kdelibs4support-free, so we
> > only need to review them:
> >  - GPGME++
> >  - KContacts
> >  - KLDAP
> >  - KMbox
>
> The last time I had a look at KMbox it wasn't fit for general
> consumption. Its
> API leaks implementation details (i.e. internal data structures) which
> makes
> it almost impossible to improve its internals, e.g. the IMHO insane
> memory
> consumption.
>
> I have mbox folders with 100's k messages and KMail 2 can hardly open
> them on
> my 2 GiB laptop despite David Faure's and others' memory optimizations.
> KMail
> 1 could open those folders using only a fraction of the memory KMail 2
> uses.
>
> I considered writing a KMbox2 to improve the memory consumption, but I
> never
> got around doing it.

We may want to look into 3rd party alternatives then.

Cheers,
Christian