[Kde-pim] The Future or KDE PIM Releases

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Sun Apr 12 20:21:23 BST 2015

On Sunday 12 April 2015 11:31:26 Daniel Vrátil wrote:
> Once this is done (and once
> Akonadi Next is done) we simply switch the translation layers in
> applications to use Akonadi Next instead of Akonadi and be done with it. We
> find this to be the least disruptive approach for users since we will have
> stable and regular releases of KDE PIM while steadily working towards the
> switch and then just switching to Akonadi Next at some point, ideally
> without users really noticing.

Did you discuss the migration path? I'm asking because when we introduced
Akonadi migration was a disaster (despite Kevin Krammer's heroic effort to
write a migrator). We shouldn't repeat the same mistake. In particular, you
shouldn't underestimate the effort the migration takes. I suggest to not write
the migration after Akonadi Next is done, but to write the migration
(including real-world tests) alongside Akonadi Next.

> Regarding our underlaying libraries, we intend to release the following
> frameworks as soon as possible, since they are kdelibs4support-free, so we
> only need to review them:
>  - GPGME++
>  - KContacts
>  - KLDAP
>  - KMbox

The last time I had a look at KMbox it wasn't fit for general consumption. Its
API leaks implementation details (i.e. internal data structures) which makes
it almost impossible to improve its internals, e.g. the IMHO insane memory
consumption.

I have mbox folders with 100's k messages and KMail 2 can hardly open them on
my 2 GiB laptop despite David Faure's and others' memory optimizations. KMail
1 could open those folders using only a fraction of the memory KMail 2 uses.

I considered writing a KMbox2 to improve the memory consumption, but I never
got around doing it.

Regards,
Ingo