[Kde-pim] PIM Sprint report: Akonadi Next

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Fri Nov 28 18:43:34 GMT 2014

On Friday 28 November 2014 07:42:46 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > Since PIM and Plasma would have different release dates,
> > we can easily force distros to rebuild necessary parts of Plasma (and
> > other
> > parts) against new PIM through soname bumps. It's some additional work for
> > packagers, but not *that* much.
>
> Knowing packagers, they will not be impressed.
>
> Minor detail: we will need to bump the .so version number on each such
> change, so we'll have to be careful to check each library on release.

a bit more radical (and very ugly, but less packaging breaking) solution:

what's the least possible code needed to access the existing akonadi/kde4
instance from kf5?
All the needed code could be inside plasma-workspace as a private qml import
or dataengine, without extra dependencies, even if it means quite some
duplication.

then packaging-wise shouldn't be a problem and would give some breathing space
(a year-ish?) of living with kontact4 waiting for the proper port.

--
Marco Martin