[Kde-pim] PIM Sprint report: Akonadi Next

Luca Beltrame lbeltrame at kde.org
Fri Nov 28 08:58:08 GMT 2014

Aaron J. Seigo wrote:

> would cause a further investment of KDEPIM resources. Is it worth it just
> so people can drop Kontact 4.x sooner and see KOrganizer events in the
> Plasma 5 calendar?

Speaking as a packager: probably it wouldn't be a problem to keep Kontact
4.x around for a while, *but* only if bug fixes keep on coming.

For now I only see Laurent committing more or less regularly to the 4.14
branch, so I'm a little concerned, given that there aren't that many people
working on PIM to begin with.

I'm not saying it is right or wrong (I have neither the skill nor the
experience), but IMO also keeping the 4.14 branch around for more time (with
varying degrees of "more time" depending on the outlook) also means
spreading out resources as well.

(and this is not to mean that a KF5 port should be rushed, but just to keep
all the options to the table)

> Minor detail: we will need to bump the .so version number on each such
> change, so we'll have to be careful to check each library on release.

True.

--
Luca Beltrame - KDE Forums team
KDE Science supporter