[Kde-pim] PIM Sprint report: Akonadi Next

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Fri Nov 28 06:42:46 GMT 2014

On Thursday, November 27, 2014 13.33:47 Daniel Vrátil wrote:
> 1) We release what we have now in master, and stop caring, focus working
> primarily on "Akonadi 2" and come back in a year or two.

I don't think it will take 2 years. Until more of toynadi is sketched in and
we can use that to help measure the actual work we're looking at, I don't
think we can say for sure, though.

Making decisions until we have that information in hand is going to be
guesswork. With some diligence, we could have the information by year's end.

Can we wait that long?

> 3) We do some functional changes and smaller API changes to master, release
> it without any ABI guarantees and we keep doing new releases with bugfixes
> and small improvements, while working on "Akonadi 2". Once "Akonadi 2" is

I imagine this would, in practice, fall mostly to Laurent. If so, we should
probably confirm he's ok with this ... :)

I know I won't be working on this at all; we should figure out just what
resources are indeed available for this part of this plan.

> Option 1) is no go obviously.

Due to the time frame of 2 years?

> I understand all the concerns of ABI or API breakage, but we can simply make
> sure to always inform interested parties about the change, send patches and
> help with porting.

This is the kind of work I was thinking of when I noted that releasing now
would cause a further investment of KDEPIM resources. Is it worth it just so
people can drop Kontact 4.x sooner and see KOrganizer events in the Plasma 5
calendar?

> Since PIM and Plasma would have different release dates,
> we can easily force distros to rebuild necessary parts of Plasma (and other
> parts) against new PIM through soname bumps. It's some additional work for
> packagers, but not *that* much.

Knowing packagers, they will not be impressed.

Minor detail: we will need to bump the .so version number on each such change,
so we'll have to be careful to check each library on release.

--
Aaron J. Seigo