[Kde-pim] Akonadi mail performance outlook: POP3 and large maildir case

GEO 1g2e3o4 at gmail.com
Wed May 7 17:10:53 BST 2014

On Saturday 03 May 2014 20:27:52 Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> Am Freitag, 2. Mai 2014, 10:19:15 schrieb Martin Steigerwald:
> > > Here are my top 3 (in the following folder sync means when you have just
> > >
> > > created your account and you click a folder):
> > >

> > > 1.) When configuring an imap account (gmail in my case) and you click a
> > > folder in kmail, the sync will begin. (No special settings, just created
> > > the account with the account wizard). If you click another folder now,
> > > nothing happens, it will wait till the initial folder is completely
> > > synced.
> > > This is not exactly asynchronous and should be addressed.
> >
> > I can confirm that for sync operations in a huge maildir resource which is
> > filled by POP3 agent. A sync operation blocks out KMail for minutes. Which
> > doesn´t match one of the design goals for Akonadi.
> >
> > I wanted to look into this further and I actually had a look at the
> > source.
> > All I could find there where some calls about synchronize collection tree
> > with a comment that this may not be needed here, but that this wouldn´t
> > matter. As I didn´t yet follow read up / understood what this call does
> > and
> > had different things to do… I didn´t get follow up on this.
>
> Actually with the help of Sergio and David I just posted a review request
> that reduces the sync time quite considerably for me. Using KMail with POP3
> and a large maildir is a complete different experience for me. I even read
> some threads in that kernel-ml folder again which has >245000 unread mails.
> Regarding this amount of mails in one folder there are still issues, but
> changing between folders is pretty fast now, even directly after filtering
> mails.
>
> KMail is *much* more responsive in my setup and Akonadi maildir resource
> appears in CPU usage list only rarely or in extreme situations (like reading
> in that kernel-ml folder).
>
> I am really excited about that.
>
> GEO and other IMAP others: I suggest to look at the recent changes Christian
> Mollekopf commits at the moment. I bet the IMAP resource receives some good
> tuning at the moment.

Great work! Thank you!
To see that issue 3 is very annoying even with small accounts watch the
following screencast, where you can especially in the end see the blocking
clearly ... (and no, it's not the connection speed):
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-ihXi2hkCPfdTRnZkRSSXNuR0k/edit?usp=sharing