[Kde-pim] Akonadi mail performance outlook: POP3 and large maildir case

Martin Steigerwald Martin at lichtvoll.de
Sat May 3 19:27:52 BST 2014

Am Freitag, 2. Mai 2014, 10:19:15 schrieb Martin Steigerwald:
> > Here are my top 3 (in the following folder sync means when you have just
> >
> > created your account and you click a folder):
> >

> > 1.) When configuring an imap account (gmail in my case) and you click a
> > folder in kmail, the sync will begin. (No special settings, just created
> > the account with the account wizard). If you click another folder now,
> > nothing happens, it will wait till the initial folder is completely
> > synced.
> > This is not exactly asynchronous and should be addressed.
>
> I can confirm that for sync operations in a huge maildir resource which is
> filled by POP3 agent. A sync operation blocks out KMail for minutes. Which
> doesn´t match one of the design goals for Akonadi.
>
> I wanted to look into this further and I actually had a look at the source.
> All I could find there where some calls about synchronize collection tree
> with a comment that this may not be needed here, but that this wouldn´t
> matter. As I didn´t yet follow read up / understood what this call does and
> had different things to do… I didn´t get follow up on this.

Actually with the help of Sergio and David I just posted a review request that
reduces the sync time quite considerably for me. Using KMail with POP3 and a
large maildir is a complete different experience for me. I even read some
threads in that kernel-ml folder again which has >245000 unread mails.
Regarding this amount of mails in one folder there are still issues, but
changing between folders is pretty fast now, even directly after filtering
mails.

KMail is *much* more responsive in my setup and Akonadi maildir resource
appears in CPU usage list only rarely or in extreme situations (like reading
in that kernel-ml folder).

I am really excited about that.

GEO and other IMAP others: I suggest to look at the recent changes Christian
Mollekopf commits at the moment. I bet the IMAP resource receives some good
tuning at the moment.