[Kde-pim] Akonadi mail performance outlook

GEO 1g2e3o4 at gmail.com
Mon May 5 18:40:01 BST 2014

On Monday 05 May 2014 18:40:55 Jan Kundrát wrote:
> On Monday, 5 May 2014 18:04:49 CEST, GEO wrote:
> > I think the following screencast should show what I mean:
> > https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-ihXi2hkCPfR3pLbVZCakZ3UVU/edit?usp=shar
> > ing
> >
> > For the akonadi guys: What trojita does better here, is that it gets the
> > number of mails in all folders before caching starts.
> >
> > It would be nice if syncing could start with the most recent message.
>
> Please note that in the default settings, Trojita shows the most recent
> message at the bottom of the list, i.e. oldest mails on top, newest at the
> bottom. You can change this by selecting View -> Sorting -> Descending in
> the menu. This is a matter of personal preference, and the setting is easy
> to change and persistent for all mailboxes. In the video, you're saying
> that you want the scrollbar to start at the top. Do you really prefer the
> application to scroll to the oldest entries when you open the mailbox? In
> Trojita, there is indeed code which scrolls to the *newest* arrivals when
> you open a mailbox, and this is a first complaint I've ever got about that.
> Why do you think that this is a bad behavior? As far as I can see,
> everything works as designed, but perhaps I'm missing something? Or do you
> just want to see that behavior which is pretty common on e.g. GMail where
> the recent mails are shown at the top, and the scrollbar also "begins" at
> the top?
>
> What is rather annoying is the delay in which the older mails at the top of
> the list appear and "replace the placeholders". By some rough timing
> estimate, it looks like it actually takes 60 seconds for them to appear.
> That's a rather long time, and I'm surprised that it's so slow for you. Do
> you have any estimate on what kind of latency do you have to reach GMail's
> IMAP servers? Even if this was a GPRS connection, seeing that the server
> takes a minute to list the oldest entries in a mailbox with 5k messages is
> rather surprising. I'm regularly using Trojita on mailboxes with 65k items,
> and they open just about instantly. I'm also testing with a 600k+ mail
> corpus every now and then, and I've never seen a delay of one minute.
> Perhaps something unexpected happened on the network and/or on the IMAP
> server at the time you were testing this?
>
> With kind regards,
> Jan

Oh Jan, sorry I am really embarrassed... I am an Akonadi user and just quickly
tried Trojita for comparison, so I did not notice the oldest messages were at
top, sorry for that!
As a matter of fact, last time I somehow changed that setting, so I was
confused now, sorry for that.

About the performance issue: I am willing to do some testing ... I guess I
will do a series of testings, to make sure it's not a random problem.

What else are you interested in?

Stay tuned ...