[Kde-pim] Review Request 114996: Close mailbox before renaming it

Christian Mollekopf chrigi_1 at fastmail.fm
Mon Jan 13 17:47:22 GMT 2014

On Monday 13 January 2014 15.10:39 Jan Kundrát wrote:
> On Monday, 13 January 2014 13:54:00 CEST, Daniel Vrátil wrote:
> > The resource already calls EXPUNGE whenever it syncs a
> > collection, so calling
> > it once more when it renames the collections should do no harm (or am I
> > missing something?)
>
> Well, this means that if people use the traditional two-phase delete
> workflow of IMAP (i.e. "mark as deleted" at first, "remove deleted"
> second), they will get unexpected removals when Akonadi happens to sync its
> colections at the same time. This is not a high-risk problem, but it does
> introduce trouble -- the traditional workflow helps me from accidental mail
> loss (got to press "Delete" *and* something else afterwards), but Akonadi's
> behavior actively thwarts that protection.
>
> From my point of view, this is a broken behavior and I would file a bug if
> I hit this myself. Your users might or might not expect this -- it's up to
> you to evaluate.

Hey Jan,

Thanks a lot for your feedback, you probably know more about IMAP than any of
us and your input is much appreciated.

The two-phase delete is currently indeed not used, I'm aware of that. The
"accidental delete" case is covered by the mail-client by using "move to
trash" by default, so there is IMO no large usability issue. We wanted to make
use of "mark as deleted" at some point, which is why an EntityDeletedAttribute
exists that the IMAP resource could use to mark messages as deleted. However,
no client was ported to that attribute yet.

So, I agree that ideally we would be using the two-phase delete, but the
usecases I'm aware of are few, which is why we didn't fix that yet. If you have
a strong case for it, I'm all ears =)

Cheers,
Christian