[Kde-pim] Review Request 114996: Close mailbox before renaming it

Christian Mollekopf chrigi_1 at fastmail.fm
Mon Jan 13 17:37:11 GMT 2014

On Monday 13 January 2014 13.54:00 Daniel Vrátil wrote:
> On Monday 13 of January 2014 12:36:23 Jan Kundrát wrote:
> > [Looks like RB won't send out comments for an already-closed review,
> > resending.]
>
> (I got an email from RB)
>
> > CLOSE performs a silent EXPUNGE behind the scenes. Are you sure this is
> > what you really want to do?
>
> The resource already calls EXPUNGE whenever it syncs a collection, so
> calling it once more when it renames the collections should do no harm (or
> am I missing something?)
>
> > The alternatives are either UNSELECT if the server supports that, or, for
> > just-RFC-3501, "EXAMINE something-which-doesnt-exist" -- see
> > http://quickgit.kde.org/?p=trojita.git&a=blob&f=src/Imap/Tasks/UnSelectTas
> > k. cpp for how it's done within Trojita.
>
> I didn't want to bother with handling fallback for servers without UNSELECT,
> so I used CLOSE. Switching to EXAMINE is a good idea (but CLOSE feels
> cleaner than opening a  non-existent folder). Christian, I can modify the
> {Move,Remove}CollectionTask to use EXAMINE if you want me to.

EXAMINE to avoid the unwanted EXPUNGE (with a comment why), would be much
appreciated. I'd prefer having explicit EXPUNGE's even if it doesn't really
matter currently, I think it will save me some trouble if I eventually move
away from EXPUNGE-always. More about that in my response to Jan.

Thanks,
Christian