[Kde-pim] configuration in akonadi-next

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Wed Dec 17 22:56:08 GMT 2014

On Wednesday 17 December 2014 11:09:12 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Wednesday, December 17, 2014 07.33:00 laurent Montel wrote:
> > It's not the case with actual akonadi ?
>
> Try these steps:
>
> * set up a Kolab account with the account wizard. Simple, right? :)
> * open a Kontact window to mail, or open KMail
> * go to Settings -> Configure KMail
> * notice the Identity, Sending and Receiving entries in various places of
> the config dialog
> * notice that you can remove and/or modify any one of them separately, and
> break your Kolab account setup in the process
>
> now ... how to get it back?

I agree with Laurent that power users need to be able to tweak their
configuration to their liking. (I also have multiple IMAP accounts, but I use
a single SMTP account for everything. Unless I want to use a second SMTP
account. ;-) ) I also agree that it makes sense to protect normal users from
messing up their configuration.

Possible solution:
* The end user applications (Kontact, what else?, should KMail stay user
visible or should we hide it from the end user?) provide only end user
friendly configuration dialogs.
* The power user configuration is "hidden" in akonadiconsole or some other
power user tool.

So, all we have to do is: Replace the account configuration dialogs in
Kontact/KMail (which are essentially the Akonadi resource configuration
dialogs) with end user friendly configuration dialogs.

Regards,
Ingo