[Kde-pim] configuration in akonadi-next

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu Dec 18 15:52:54 GMT 2014

On Wednesday, December 17, 2014 23.56:08 Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> I agree with Laurent that power users need to be able to tweak their
> configuration to their liking. (I also have multiple IMAP accounts, but I
> use a single SMTP account for everything. Unless I want to use a second
> SMTP account. ;-) )

Obviously IMAP is a valid 'account' on its own. SMTP is as well. So there
shouldn't be problems.

If the question is "how do I set up identities", those (obviously) are also
part of an "account": they exist in correlation to sending/receiving methods,
and send/receive accounts can surely have multiple identities (if we wish to
take it that far). This is one of the things Thunderbird got reasonably
correct imo.

With identities in hand, the user can then select which identity to use.

With SMTP servers in hand, the user can select which to use for sending.

For the average user all that will be hidden in the default UI just as it is
now, but again: that's usage, not configuration. I don't know of any use case
where configuration must be difficult or require one to know how email servers
work in detail to make work.

... and with competent servers like Kolab (which now supports server-side
configuration defaults), configuration can be entirely automated once the user
puts in their email and password.

> * The end user applications (Kontact, what else?, should KMail stay user
> visible or should we hide it from the end user?) provide only end user
> friendly configuration dialogs.

Those are unrelated things imho. If KMail remains visible as a separate
application, configuration can still be harmonized.

> * The power user configuration is "hidden" in akonadiconsole or some other
> power user tool.

There should be no need for a power user configuration. Just as there is no
such thing as a unicorn saddle.

> So, all we have to do is: Replace the account configuration dialogs in
> Kontact/KMail (which are essentially the Akonadi resource configuration
> dialogs) with end user friendly configuration dialogs.

Exactly :) Where I may wish to take it even further is that there should be no
need for non-user-friendly configuration dialogs. Anywhere.

What is the use case?

--
Aaron J. Seigo