[Kde-pim] configuration in akonadi-next

laurent Montel montel at kde.org
Wed Dec 17 11:07:40 GMT 2014

Le Wednesday 17 December 2014 11:09:12 Aaron J. Seigo a écrit :
> On Wednesday, December 17, 2014 07.33:00 laurent Montel wrote:
> > It's not the case with actual akonadi ?
>
> Try these steps:
>
> * set up a Kolab account with the account wizard. Simple, right? :)
> * open a Kontact window to mail, or open KMail
> * go to Settings -> Configure KMail
> * notice the Identity, Sending and Receiving entries in various places of
> the config dialog
> * notice that you can remove and/or modify any one of them separately, and
> break your Kolab account setup in the process

I want to be able to create an smtp account for example without a resource.
And I want to be able to remove my kolab resource but not my smtp.

I have my provider account but I don't use imap/pop from it but I use smtp
from it.
How I will do if smtp depend against a resource ?

> now ... how to get it back?
>
> * go to Korganizer, notice there are no similar settings in Settings ->
> Configure Korganizer

You can modify account here too.
Please update to last 4.14 we have the same widget to configure/modify account
settings in kmail/korganizer/knotes.

> * instead notice that if you right click on a calender in the calender list
> you can now to all kinds of "interesting" things to which can also break
> your configuration

How ? We can add account or remove calendar.

> * back to KMail and start messing with your folder subscriptions and watch
> your calendars back in Korganizer get screwed up if you deselect the right
> folders

We can break it in resource too if we deselect the right folder no ?

> The problem with the current system in Akonadi is that there is an Accounts
> Wizard which does all the complicated stuff behind the scenes for you ...

And it's usefull

> but then leaves you with a completely unconnected set of configurations
> scattered all over Kontact. There are many ways to break things, and it is
> very very hard for users to find where things like "the identity that goes
> with my MyKolab.com account". I've watched people try to find that and just
> completely fail. Why?
> Because Akonadi / Kontact provides no central, unified account management.
> It's just a scatter of individual configurations throughout the UI. Blech.

But identity is specific to kmail but not necessary for knotes for example.
So user will not understand why they need to create an identity for just a
knotes resource for example.

--
Laurent Montel | laurent.montel at kdab.com | KDE/Qt Senior Software Engineer
Tel. France +33 (0)4 90 84 08 53,  http://www.kdab.fr