[Kde-pim] configuration in akonadi-next

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Thu Dec 18 21:14:11 GMT 2014

On Thursday 18 December 2014 17:15:43 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Thursday, December 18, 2014 14.39:03 Daniel Vrátil wrote:
> > > However, I believe that the config should indeed be rather stored in
> > > it's
> > > own config file.
> > > The reason is smaller overhead compared to starting and querying
> > > KAccounts.
> >
> > Also storing full configuration in (binary) database is evil and simply
> > wrong
> >
> > :-)
>
> "Text" files are binary files with nice editors, that's all. (... just look
> at one with a hexeditor ;)

Haha. Very funny. No, not funny at all.

> Access, not format, is what matters.

Exactly. And that's why access with everybody's favorite console text editor
is important. Or even with sed, awk, grep, and friends.

> I think tdb does this just about
> perfectly. It has a binary format on disk for efficiency but provides a nice
> little editor.

Give me my favorite editor as with "crontab -e" and I might be d'accord.
Otherwise, forget it. Binary _is_ evil. And please spare me talking about
efficiency. Text configuration files have worked for the last 30 years and
computers and storage only got faster. Today's low-end wasn't even dreamed
about 30 years ago.

Why does everybody think using a database is the solution for all
problems?</rant>

Regards,

Ingo