[Kde-pim] configuration in akonadi-next

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu Dec 18 16:15:43 GMT 2014

On Thursday, December 18, 2014 14.39:03 Daniel Vrátil wrote:
> Shipping a pre-configured sqlite database is much harder than shipping an
> INI file.

There is no reason (that I can think of) that we can't provide a populate-the-
sqlite-db-from-INI-files procedure that runs automagically on the client side.
So this should be, with a small amount of effort, be a non-issue.

> > However, I believe that the config should indeed be rather stored in it's
> > own config file.
> > The reason is smaller overhead compared to starting and querying
> > KAccounts.
>
> Also storing full configuration in (binary) database is evil and simply
> wrong
> :-)

"Text" files are binary files with nice editors, that's all. (... just look at
one with a hexeditor ;)

Access, not format, is what matters. I think tdb does this just about
perfectly. It has a binary format on disk for efficiency but provides a nice
little editor.

Some configuration makes sense as text, some doesn't. But there is no
(sensible) "all config should be text" rule.

--
Aaron J. Seigo