[Kde-pim] configuration in akonadi-next

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Wed Dec 17 10:09:12 GMT 2014

On Wednesday, December 17, 2014 07.33:00 laurent Montel wrote:
> It's not the case with actual akonadi ?

Try these steps:

* set up a Kolab account with the account wizard. Simple, right? :)
* open a Kontact window to mail, or open KMail
* go to Settings -> Configure KMail
* notice the Identity, Sending and Receiving entries in various places of the
config dialog
* notice that you can remove and/or modify any one of them separately, and
break your Kolab account setup in the process

now ... how to get it back?

* go to Korganizer, notice there are no similar settings in Settings ->
Configure Korganizer
* instead notice that if you right click on a calender in the calender list
you can now to all kinds of "interesting" things to which can also break your
configuration

* back to KMail and start messing with your folder subscriptions and watch
your calendars back in Korganizer get screwed up if you deselect the right
folders

The problem with the current system in Akonadi is that there is an Accounts
Wizard which does all the complicated stuff behind the scenes for you ... but
then leaves you with a completely unconnected set of configurations scattered
all over Kontact. There are many ways to break things, and it is very very
hard for users to find where things like "the identity that goes with my
MyKolab.com account". I've watched people try to find that and just completely
fail. Why?

Because Akonadi / Kontact provides no central, unified account management.
It's just a scatter of individual configurations throughout the UI. Blech.

By putting the configuration UI fully in the hands of the individual resources
we might be able to get ourselves out of that mess.

> > Configuring your resources would be done from a single,
> > unified dialog focused on, well, resources. Clients could filter the shown
> > resources based on the resource types it is interested in (so KMail
> > wouldn't need to show e.g. newsfeeds ;) ...
>
> It's the case. In kmail we show just pop3/imap/kolab we don't see newsfeed
> or ical etc.

Yes, this is keeping an existing feature .. I mentioned it only for
completeness.

--
Aaron J. Seigo