[Kde-pim] configuration in akonadi-next

Daniel Vrátil dvratil at redhat.com
Thu Dec 18 13:07:15 GMT 2014

On Thursday, December 18, 2014 12:07:34 AM Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> On Wednesday 17 December 2014 16:39:20 Sandro Knauß wrote:
> > Hey,
> >
> > > Indeed, and KAccounts makes sense for resources that represent an
> > > account.
> > > Some resources are just local resources, like an iCal file.
> >
> > because of kio the ical resource also can handle any url, so it is not
> > limited to a local file. And for external urls there you need credentials
> > etc. KAccount makes sense.
>
> Just because it's possible doesn't mean it's sensible. AFAIK, the whole ical
> file needs to be re-uploaded each time anything is changed in the calender.
> Moreover, concurrent access (which people will inevitably want to use if
> they can remotely access the calender file) is an unsolved problem (->
> conflict resolution).
>
> IMHO the possibility to configure remote ical file resources should be
> hidden from normal end users. They can still use end user friendly
> dropbox-like file sharing software if they want to use their ical file on
> multiple computers.

Remote ical files make a lot of sense even for normal users, as long as it's
read only. I would never hide this feature from people, but let's say we could
just automatically check the "Read only" checkbox once remote URL is detected,
and show some kind of "Are you sure you know what you are doing" dialog when
they try to uncheck it.

Dan

--
Daniel Vrátil | dvratil at redhat.com | dvratil on #kde-devel, #kontact, #akonadi
Software Engineer - KDE Desktop Team, Red Hat Inc.

GPG Key: 0xC59D614F6F4AE348
Fingerprint: 4EC1 86E3 C54E 0B39 5FDD B5FB C59D 614F 6F4A E348